The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualifications for this role you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship.
To be a strong fit for this opportunity you will have:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or related field. A Master’s Degree in Business Administration is preferred.
- At least 7-12+ years of experience in progressively responsible roles that required the analysis of data, budgeting, planning, proforma development, analysis of growth opportunities and processes to determine investment strategy, as well as market research.
- Excellent negotiation skills, communication, presentation and interpersonal skills. The ability to communicate effectively and professionally across various levels of the organization and with key external customers, vendors and consultants.
- Ability to think strategically, with a broad-market economics view of how business development is handled throughout North America.
- Proficiency with MS Office suite of products and Salesforce (or related CRM system).
- Ability to initiate and effectively manage projects, operations, and initiatives.
- Proficiency in partnering with business leaders to drive company strategies.
- Strong ethics and the ability to keep information confidential.
- Ability to deliver high-value impact as member of a larger team, ensuring efforts support the strategy of the business.
- Strong executive presence.
The RoleReporting to the VP, Emerging Business Development, as the Director, M&A and Strategy, you will be responsible for identifying, acquiring, and integrating companies and assets related to the emerging business strategic growth platform. Your mission will be to identify both the industries and potential candidates for acquisition as we look to grow out our emerging business.
This is a role that will require a strategic thinker and tactical executor--a professional who can conduct in-depth research to validate opportunities, build out business cases, and then present that information and data to our key stakeholders and leaders. This will include evaluating current and future processes and technologies that support emerging businesses.
You’ll be involved throughout the entire lifecycle of each emerging business project from initial due diligence and negotiations to deal finalization. Once closed, you will pass the project off to the Emerging Business Operations group who will facilitate the integration and handle the P&L.
To give you a sampling of specific activities, you will:
- Create a business case for programs and projects to support the Company’s strategic growth plan and emerging businesses, including the financial returns, capital requirements, project risks and project management.
- Collaborate with the emerging business team to create an acquisition pipeline to support the financial growth targets.
- Lead the identification of acquisition targets, proforma development, due diligence, and integration process for emerging businesses as a lever for market/industry entry.
- Set expectations and priorities; interacts with decision-makers to ensure required deliverables are met according to project timeline commitments.
- Effectively communicate status and roadblocks in an accurate and timely fashion.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned or apparent.
Video: Republic Services has solutions to help business customers handle specialized waste streams and different recycling needs. Follow recyclables through a materials recovery facility as they are separated and prepared for shipment worldwide to be reused. We serve a variety of industries, including manufacturing, energy, healthcare, retail, education and more.
Why Republic ServicesUnique hybrid role
You'll be involved in plenty of acquisition and inorganic growth projects, but there is much more to the role in terms of both strategy and tactical execution. You'll explore core and core-adjacent opportunities (we're focusing on some exciting projects with compactors, technology and gas to energy, for example), as well as some highly-confidential initiatives and development projects. If we can't buy it, we'll build it, and infrastructure development is both a complex and intriguing facet to our business that you will explore.
You'll be a key resource for this new business unit, lead large deals and projects yourself, and influence overall corporate strategy. In addition, you'll be able to make your mark by shaping the direction of the role and creating best practices for this ground-floor opportunity.
We know you'll bring deep experience and knowledge to the role, but there also will be opportunities to learn and grow. For one thing, you'll learn about a dynamic, evolving industry. This position is diverse and you'll interact with multiple functional areas in our matrixed organization -- once you've proven yourself in this role you might set your sights on a number of career paths within Republic Services. In fact, this position is open because the incumbent is pursuing a new opportunity in the company.
People guided, planet minded
We're equally committed to serving people and protecting our Blue Planet™. We are relentlessly devoted to the delivery of convenient, cost-effective waste and recycling solutions across our national network in a way that also minimizes our operational impact on the planet's resources.
We play a vital role in the communities we serve, and our impact goes far beyond recycling and waste solutions. You will lead initiatives in an organization that takes pride in creating jobs, driving economic growth and promoting environmental responsibility. Nationwide, Republic Services' gross state product impact is estimated at $9.5 billion annually. This includes creating 106,500 direct and indirect jobs, and generating more than $1.4 billion in annual tax revenues for local, state and federal governments. As a company, Republic Services donates time, expertise and resources for special community events, education and activities, and we encourage our employees to volunteer and give back to the community.
We continually invest in our employees throughout their careers with on-going training, encouragement and opportunities to advance and achieve their personal and professional best. We offer a safe, respectful and rewarding workplace, dedicated to excellence, environmental responsibility and increasing shareholder value.
In addition to a competitive salary and generous bonus, you will be eligible for our long-term incentive program. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage; a 401(k) plan; paid time off and holidays; flexible spending accounts; a stock purchase plan and more.
Keys to SuccessThe ideal candidate for this role will be a true “go-getter” who is not afraid to roll up their sleeves. This is not a clearly defined role and we’ll look to you to create your own space and explore different industries and opportunities. Your interpersonal skills will be critical as you strive to build relationships and trust with business owners and stakeholders from a variety of different backgrounds and industries. If you love to evaluate risk, run the numbers, and dig into the details to uncover whether or not an opportunity is worth pursuing, you could be the perfect fit for this dynamic and unique position.
Additionally, to excel in this role you will be a self-motivated professional looking to grow your career with our company and expand your skill set. Your manager is deeply committed to helping his direct reports succeed and grow, and we’re looking for a high-potential performer to step into this exciting Director-level role.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Director, M&A and Strategy, you will:
- Bring not only the ability to do the job but also the professional runway to grow in and with the organization.
- Be proactive about learning our industry, particularly the strategic levers that can drive growth.
- Apply both creativity and analytical skills in solving problems.
- Adapt your communications style effectively to a wide array of internal and external audiences.
- Remain willing to challenge the status quo and take calculated risks.
- Earn a reputation, among cross-functional teams, as a positive resource, collaborator and solid leader.
About UsWe'll handle it from here™
Republic Services, Inc. was incorporated in 1996 with a "can do" spirit, driving its dramatic growth and acquisitions through the years, welcoming other organizations that share its values and fiduciary discipline. Today, Republic Services, Inc. is the second largest provider of services in the domestic non-hazardous solid waste industry, as measured by revenue as well as a Fortune 500 company, publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: RSG).
Through our subsidiaries, we provide non-hazardous solid waste and recycling services for commercial, industrial, municipal and residential customers. Our customers come first as we strive to safely and sustainably provide reliable service through 338 collection operations, 200 transfer stations, 193 active solid waste landfills and 66 recycling centers and 69 landfill gas and renewable energy projects across 39 states and Puerto Rico. Republic Services Inc. is a holding company and all operations are conducted by its subsidiaries.
At Republic Services, we're guided by five essential core values -- to be Respectful, Responsible, Reliable, Resourceful, and Relentless in all we do, every day. Our highly passionate, professional team is reminded of these principles every time they see the five R's joined together to form the Republic Services Star. It's what makes us who we are, reminding us to keep our customers at the heart of it all.