The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. In addition, to be a good fit for the Director, Government Affairs opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor's degree in Business, Marketing, Political Science, History or another related field.
- 10+ years of experience in related government affairs, lobbying or public affairs activities, including experience with highly regulated industries.
- 5+ years of direct responsibility working the state legislative or regulatory process and managing 150+ relevant bills during legislative sessions.
- Experience working with outside lobbying or consulting firms on projects or legislative efforts.
- The ability to train and mentor talent on the nuances of dealing with elected and appointed officials.
- The ability to develop strong and trusting relationships with and gain support from elected, appointed and volunteer government officials and entities.
- Experience managing complex projects, including managing multiple concurrent deadlines and priorities.
- Government affairs experience in California is strongly preferred.
- Waste, transportation or service industry experience is preferred.
Pictured: At Republic Services we strive to create a workplace that's ethical and rewarding. That's why we are proud to be recognized as a best employer.
The RoleReporting to the Vice President, Government Affairs, you will join a team that includes two other Directors, one in the Midwest and one in Texas -- we expect this team to grow. You also will interact with a regulatory lobbyist, legislative lobbyist, and lobbyists in larger local markets in California.
You'll lead the state and local government and regulatory efforts for two Areas that cover California and small parts of adjacent states. As you might imagine, California not only represents large revenues, but also a high number of relevant and often complex bills during legislative sessions.
Your objectives will include:
- Ensuring organizational consistency and visibility with government decision makers at the state level.
- Ensuring company compliance with all political and lobbying activities.
- Assisting in maintaining the highest ethical standards through improved training, communications and cooperative efforts.
More specifically, you will:
- Support the Area Presidents, applicable General Managers, and the Business Development and Municipal Services teams in the preparation and implementation of government and public affairs plans in the respective Areas, including:
- Measuring current conditions, identifying the targeted legislative and regulatory opportunities and creating strategies to convert these into law or regulations.
- Assess the external environment including financial conditions, competitors and political environment.
- Testify on behalf of the Company at various hearings and serving as the face of the Company at the legislature.
- Work closely with Area and Corporate leadership to determine strategic objectives for the Company in relation to legislation and regulations that are conducive to Company growth and profit improvement, to include impacts on customer retention, environmental compliance, and business development activities.
- Work with and manage outside lobbying and/or consulting teams that are responsible for representing the Company during the legislative or regulatory development process, including reviewing issues and establishing positions and talking points that represent the Company goals and brand, while assessing effectiveness of the lobbying/consulting teams via tangible outcomes that produce a return on our investment. You'll help transition political relationships to local teams throughout their efforts, and coordinate public affairs efforts with Corporate Communications team.
- Prepare and work with internal resources to prepare white papers or other tools to effectively manage major issues or legislative efforts.
- Develop and maintain positive community relations/image through involvement in civic and trade organizations, and calls on City Councils, Boards, County Supervisors and other key contacts in key market areas.
- Help drive new growth by analyzing trends in municipal and state budgets and providing effective feedback to area leadership.
- Effectively communicate Company objectives, goals, and plans and relates concerns on
What's in It for YouImportant role
Not only is California a major market for Republic, but (as you know) the state has one of the nation's most influential legislatures. There is a high number of relevant bills to follow in every session, and many have the potential to impact our business model significantly. Right off the bat, for example, you'll be involved in the Bottle Bill as well as implementation of AB 1383.
You'll interact regularly with a wide variety of contacts at multiple levels within Republic Services, as well as with municipal decision makers around the state. We already mentioned that you will be the face of our organization to Sacramento lawmakers -- an important part of this position.
People guided, planet minded
We're equally committed to serving people and protecting our blue planet. We are relentlessly devoted to the delivery of convenient, cost-effective waste and recycling solutions across our national network in a way that also minimizes our operational impact on the planet's resources.
We play a vital role in the communities we serve, and our impact goes far beyond recycling and waste solutions. You will lead initiatives in an organization that takes pride in creating jobs, driving economic growth and promoting environmental responsibility. Nationwide, Republic Services' gross domestic product impact is estimated at $9.5 billion annually. This includes creating 106,500 direct and indirect jobs, and generating more than $1.4 billion in annual tax revenues for local, state and federal governments. As a company, Republic Services donates time, expertise and resources for special community events, education and activities, and we encourage our employees to volunteer and give back to the community.
We continually invest in our employees throughout their careers with on-going training, encouragement and opportunities to advance and achieve their personal and professional best. We offer a safe, respectful and rewarding workplace, dedicated to excellence, environmental responsibility and increasing shareholder value.
In addition to a competitive salary and generous bonus, you will be eligible for our long-term incentive program. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage; a 401(k) plan; paid time off and holidays; flexible spending accounts; a stock purchase plan and more.
Keys to SuccessSome may think it goes without saying, but to excel in this role you'll need the political savvy to navigate the system, and you should understand that few, if any, issues are black and white. You'll also recognize the importance of relationships in this arena, and bring an outgoing personality and the ability to convey trust and integrity. You should be motivated to become the individual whom policymakers contact first when they need insight into solid waste material management issues.
One thing that may be a little different from other government affairs roles is the extensive interaction with local operations leaders. You'll act as a coach and advisor to help them understand the legislation that may impact their business, the politics involved, and how they can engage effectively in the process. In addition, you will provide guidance around regulatory compliance.
As you can see, this role has a lot of moving parts, not to mention a high volume of bills (at this writing we're tracking over 180), so it will be important for you to be able to manage multiple simultaneous activities. You'll also need to be able to set priorities and focus your efforts where they will deliver the best ROI.
About UsWe'll handle it from here™
Republic Services, Inc. was incorporated in 1996 with a "can do" spirit, driving its dramatic growth and acquisitions through the years, welcoming other organizations that share its values and fiduciary discipline. Today, Republic Services, Inc. is the second largest provider of services in the domestic non-hazardous solid waste industry, as measured by revenue as well as a Fortune 500 company, publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: RSG).
Through our subsidiaries, we provide non-hazardous solid waste and recycling services for commercial, industrial, municipal and residential customers. Our customers come first as we strive to safely and sustainably provide reliable service through 338 collection operations, 200 transfer stations, 193 active solid waste landfills and 66 recycling centers and 69 landfill gas and renewable energy projects across 39 states and Puerto Rico. Republic Services Inc. is a holding company and all operations are conducted by its subsidiaries.
At Republic Services, we're guided by five essential core values -- to be Respectful, Responsible, Reliable, Resourceful, and Relentless in all we do, every day. Our highly passionate, professional team is reminded of these principles every time they see the five R's joined together to form the Republic Services Star. It's what makes us who we are, reminding us to keep our customers at the heart of it all.