The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualifications for this role, you must have:
- Legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship
- A bachelor’s degree
- Experience in strategy, project, infrastructure and/or real estate development
- A minimum of 5 years of general business experience, preferably in a capital intensive industry
- The ability to read, interpret, and prepare financial reports
- Knowledge of reasonableness of operating data and analysis of results
- An ability to gain respect from internal and external customers while maintaining an independent and objective perspective
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- The ability to effectively manage multiple projects and priorities at once
- Related environmental industry experience
- Master’s degree in Business Administration or related degree
- Experience managing a project budget in excess of $5 million
- Experience managing a project team of professional functional experts
- Experience working with government agencies and lobbyists
The RoleYour official title will be Area Director, Business Development. As such, you will facilitate the development and execution of market strategy through our integrated market planning process. You will also facilitate the development of solid waste infrastructure through acquisitions, divestitures, privatizations and organic development. You will collaborate with Market, Area, and Corporate functions to create and execute actions that enable Republic Services to win in the market place.
The Area within which you will work extends through Indiana, Illinois, Idaho, Wisconsin, and Minneapolis. The revenues are significant and we will look to you to help us grow them even more.
Who you will work with
Within this Area, there are approximately 20 team members. Reporting to the Area President, you will routinely work with the Area Director of Finance, Director of Operations, the General Managers and the Area Field Team.
From a corporate standpoint, you will have a dotted line relationship with the Vice President of Market Planning & Development, collaborate with your fellow Area Directors across the country, and work with the Legal and Finance departments.
Externally, you'll be interacting with small company owners, outside legal counsel and engineering.
What it's like to do this job
If you enjoy planning and collaborating, this will be a good role for you.
Approximately 70% of your time will be spent working with the General Managers in each market on both planning and follow up. Each year, usually May through August, you will primarily focus on executing the Market Planning Process for each of the 15-20 markets within your Area. This encompasses sitting down with the General Manager for each market and, using an Excel template we have developed for this purpose, guiding them to gain a clear picture of the dynamics impacting their market: infrastructure, ROI, competitors, legislation, our standing in the market, how it’s currently performing, projected growth, etc. This process is a deep dive into our business and a prerequisite for developing strategies to win and grow within that market.
Out of this process comes action items; making sure those plans are executed is a big portion of your job. For example, if there is infrastructure that needs to be built, you will work with our Construction Manager to put together a business case for it. Once approved, the Construction Manager will take over the project but you will remain involved, providing the necessary support to keep it on track.
The rest of your time, approximately 30%, involves strategic acquisitions. You will identify potential acquisitions within each market and start building those relationships over time. This includes sitting down with the business owner to understand the company’s financials and operations and then putting together a proforma with the team on the ground. As things progress, you will work with their lawyers and ours to put together the legal documentation. This is cradle-to-grave acquisition; you will see it through to integration after the acquisition is made.
There will be a learning curve
You will be very busy and there is a great deal to learn. Ours is a complex industry, so learning the many facets of the waste and recycling industry can take time. We'll provide the tools and training you need to succeed, but you will need to dedicate yourself to gaining knowledge and pushing yourself to learn quickly.
The person we’re looking for doesn’t just do planning or acquisitions, but both; s/he has to be able to think strategically, relate up and down the ladder while also having very good analytical skills. This is an opportunity to strengthen your skills and increase your experience in both domains.
More specifically, your role will incorporate three primary functions:
For Market Planning you will:
- Develop and drive market strategies to improve the financial performance of markets.
- Facilitate integrated strategic planning process within the Area, including coordination with Sales and Revenue Management functions.
- Coordinate with market operational leaders to ensure the execution of action plans for strategic development.
- Be responsible for financial and capital investment analysis of business development transactions, including acquisitions and divestitures of non- strategic assets.
- Work closely with the Area President and General Managers to identify and execute business development transactions, including due diligence, coordination of the closing and integration processes.
- Have responsibility for transaction negotiations.
- Evaluate business justification for development of new solid waste infrastructure projects, such as MRFs, transfer stations and landfills, and manage projects through the development cycle.
- Lead and motivate internal and external functional expert teams to ensure timely and cost effective completion of projects.
- Develop project strategies and milestones.
- Lead annual landfill review and deeming process within Area.
- Support municipal infrastructure privatizations within Area.
- Be responsible for overseeing real estate transactions.
What's in It for YouHigh impact and exposure -- this role allows you to make a tangible impact on the success of your Area. Your ability to grow revenues will provide visibility and exposure throughout the business. You will routinely collaborate both within your Area as well as with corporate and there will be opportunities to present to senior leadership. Prove yourself, and you could expand your reach, grow your career and learn new skills along the way.
Full-cycle development -- in most companies you work on either strategy or acquisitions. At Republic, not only do you work on both but you are also able to see visible evidence of your hard work as your Area grows in revenues, services offered, infrastructure and size. This is a significant opportunity to have a direct impact on our growth.
Resources and support -- we promote a hands-on training process where we’ll show you how things are done. This includes going out on trucks with drivers, on calls with the sales force, as well as visiting landfills and transfer stations. We want you to become very familiar with what we do and how we do it. In your manager, the Area President, you have someone who is very knowledgeable about the industry. You can learn a great deal from him and quickly, not only about the waste and recycling industry but also about how to work well within Republic. S/he has a proven ability to talk up and down the ladder moving from a frontline driver to the CEO in the same day. S/he takes her/his job seriously and focuses on results. If you do the same, you'll work well together. Additionally, you will have the advantage of regular interaction with the Vice President of Market Planning and Development who is extremely knowledgeable about strategy and M&A. His focus is based on how to help you get the job done and move you to the next level. Anything from you that goes to Corporate comes through him and he will work with you to show you how to get it right.
Career options -- this role can offer challenges and opportunities for years to come. At the same time, depending on your ambition and aptitude, you might set your sights on other opportunities within Republic. Because this position is so diverse and so aligned with our matrix organization, there are a lot of possibilities depending on where you want to go, We are very good at "cross pollinating," meaning you might move into Operations, Finance, or Corporate Business Development, all areas in which you can continue to build your knowledge and enhance your skills.
Community involvement -- just like your neighborhood store, school or utility, we play a vital role in our communities. However, our contribution doesn't stop at waste collection, disposal and recycling. As a company, Republic Services donates time, expertise and resources for special community events, education and activities. We encourage our employees to volunteer and give back to the community. In fact, we sponsor thousands of events every year across the nation; from school field trips to Earth Day activities, we help champion causes that make our communities better places to live.
People-guided, planet-minded -- we're equally committed to serving people and protecting our blue planet. We are relentlessly devoted to the delivery of convenient, cost-effective waste and recycling solutions across our national network in a way that also minimizes strain on the planet's resources.
Great environment -- a rewarding career in the waste management and recycling industry begins here. As we grow, we are seeking talented, ethical and loyal team players to join Republic Services. We continually invest in our employees throughout their careers with on-going training, encouragement and opportunities to advance and achieve their personal and professional best. We offer a safe, respectful and rewarding workplace, dedicated to excellence, environmental responsibility and increasing shareholder value.
Excellent compensation -- in addition to a competitive compensation plan, you'll enjoy a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage; a 401(k) plan; PTO and holidays; flexible spending accounts; a stock purchase plan and more.
Keys to SuccessThis role is unique in that it requires you to have the ability to easily switch back and forth from right brain to left brain activities. To excel you will leverage the breadth of your skills and experience. You will need to combine strategic thinking and planning with solid people skills.
You will succeed if you know finance, can quickly understand operations, know how to sell and can do both high level strategy and quickly come up with tactics to fix the business.
Personality is key as is your ability to adapt your communication style to your audience. You will be working with a wide spectrum from senior executives to general managers to possible sellers of family owned businesses and beyond. If you have a track record of being able to influence without authority, that skill will serve you well here.
Ours is a matrix organization and, within that, yours is an Area staff position. Your success will largely be built on your ability to help the General Managers succeed. It's challenging, but it's also interesting and rewarding -- a chance to further develop skills on which you can build a career for years to come.
Within the first year we will look to you to:
- Challenge the status quo when it comes to helping the General Managers think about their strategies.
- Learn the industry very quickly and identify the strategic levers that need to be pulled in order to grow your Area and make it more profitable.
- Do a couple of acquisitions or be guided through them with assistance from our corporate team. We recognize that, depending on your background, during your first year you may need some assistance with acquisitions in this industry.
About UsWe'll handle it from here™
Republic Services, Inc. was incorporated in 1996 with a "can do" spirit, driving its dramatic growth and acquisitions through the years, welcoming other organizations that share its values and fiduciary discipline. Today, Republic Services, Inc. is the second largest provider of services in the domestic non-hazardous solid waste industry, as measured by revenue as well as a Fortune 500 company, publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: RSG).
Through our subsidiaries, we provide non-hazardous solid waste and recycling services for commercial, industrial, municipal and residential customers. Our customers come first as we strive to safely and sustainably provide reliable service through 338 collection operations, 200 transfer stations, 193 active solid waste landfills and 66 recycling centers and 69 landfill gas and renewable energy projects across 39 states and Puerto Rico. Republic Services Inc. is a holding company and all operations are conducted by its subsidiaries.
At Republic Services, we're guided by five essential core values -- to be Respectful, Responsible, Reliable, Resourceful, and Relentless in all we do, every day. Our highly passionate, professional team is reminded of these principles every time they see the five R's joined together to form the Republic Services Star. It's what makes us who we are, reminding us to keep our customers at the heart of it all.